Sunday, February 3, 2008

Too cute for words


I'm getting use to this whole dad thing. At first it was all sleep deprivation, screaming, and anxiety. I was often overcome with emotion and uneasiness at the same time. It's a lot of responsibility all of the sudden. But lately it's been much more fun. There is still plenty of screaming, but now there is the very rarest of smiles as well. They come when she wants them to, and they cannot be duplicated at will. I've tried funny faces, funny noises, tickling, games, and jokes but nothing works. And then this morning I wake up and wander over to the couch where Dylan is eating with Sarah. I sat down so I could see her little eyes and said "hey buddy".... she looked at me and then....smiled! So I said "hey buddy" and she smiled again, and then a third time. It was such a small thing, and will soon be common place throughout the day, but it was just such a joy to be recognized by someone that I love so very much.
I really love the strong parallels between our relationship with Christ and my new relationship with Dylan. Except in the former I'm the one crapping on myself and screaming for no good reason. I just know that the same way that I love my little girl, even though she just barely acknowledges my presence, that He also loves me. He loves me in ways I don't understand just like I love her in ways she will not understand until she has kids of her own. And just like I long for her to love me back, He longs for us to love Him. Not that He needs us, He just loves us.
Enjoy the pics!

1 comment:

Christy Younger said...

What sweet thoughts, Char, and what an amazing smile it is! She is gorgeous. You guys are awesome parents :)